Monday, July 2, 2012

Time Flies When You are Having FUN!

WOW, where did June go? Time just flies. June in a nutshell was a good month. I raced in Fultondale, Alabama on June 16th and was happy with my 5K. I was 12th overall and 1st in the Grand Master division, (50-59), and 1st in my AG (55-59). I ran a 19:44, I was hoping to be under 19:20, but the course is hilly and heat and humidity played a role in the slower time as well. It was a fun trip as my oldest daughter made the trip from NOLA and my oldest son lives in Birmingham so that made for a nice Father's Day. Mrs. TO and Little "B" and our Golden Doodle made the trip as well.

I ran 196 miles for June. I am at 796 miles at the half way point of 2012. With the Twin Cities Marathon and Marshall Marathon still to run in 2012 I should still make my goal of 1700 miles for 2012. It seems like just yesterday I was running Surf City Marathon and hanging out with friends in California!

I always have these crazy things that run through my mind when I run. Tonight on my 6 mile Monday run I got to thinking about my dad and his generation, sometimes dubbed the greatest generation that ever lived. He is 86 now, a cancer survivor that lost a leg and part of each lung but beat the odds over 32 years ago and still loves life today. He was given 6 months to live, must have been like dog years because as I said, that was over 32 years ago. He was a tail gunner on a B-24 during World War II.  He then became a Barber and we had a nice life never knowing what it was like to be rich but never going without. He never once said, "I am going to put the other two barbers out of business in this town". In fact, they were friends, cut each others hair.

That got me to thinking. I sell radio advertising. My company wants to put our competitor out of business, and they us. In my fathers time this just didn't happen. I was thinking tonight, what if our right to freedom of speech was threatened. Could we and our competitor forget about putting each other out of business, stop hating each other and join forces to preserve our freedom of speech. That's what the Greatest Generation did when our Country came under siege. I am not so sure that we could do that today. Everybody thinks it has to be their way. We can't seem to compromise or find common ground. We don't need Obama Care, we just need People Who Care!

That is when it hit me, I love runners. We encourage each other. We applaud each other and recognize PR's. It isn't about how fast, it is about participation. If you beat me, good for you! It is me racing me. It doesn't matter if you are a Lawyer, Factory Worker, Social Worker or Doctor. Although at my age I prefer to run with a Doctor, it is not about status. It is about my age and the possibility of needing CPR that makes the Doc look inviting! But really, we are in a pair of shorts and a singlet, sweating profusely, and nobody cares what you do. They couldn't tell people what you do for a living to save their sole, (okay, I spelled it wrong on purpose). But, they can tell you that persons PR from the 5K to their Marathon. Ah, I do so love runners!

My next, and thankfully for you my last random thought. I am one lucky, make that blessed fellow. I have wandered aimlesly through life until Little "B" entered our lives going on 9 years ago. A little boy nobody wanted. Neglected, non verbal, in diapers still at age 4. 22 pounds and a handful. We had 5 biological children but what is one more, we adopted Little "B'.  He has given me a renewed sense of purpose. I realize it is not about money, it is not about status. It is about Love and Acceptance. Accepting people for who they are. Caring and having someone Care back. All this from a little boy who can't talk, is just now getting pottie trained at age 13. He gave me back my life. He showed me I should run if for no other reason because,  I can. I love to run. Though it does not define me, it makes me a better person.

All this in just a 48 minute 6 mile run. I am exhausted, not from my run. Rather from a racing mind. I am indeed having FUN. I realize that in 55 years I have met some amazing people. I have had my life
touched  by some amazing people. I can't wait until July is over to add to that incredible list. Wait, I can wait, I don't want to wish my life away. I will just take it a day at a time. One adventure at a time.

Have a great 4th of July and remember nice guys don't really finish last, Little "B" taught me that. Bet you are glad tonight wasn't a 14 mile run!

2 comments:

  1. Little B is so lucky to have you. What great thoughts on your run. Runners are awesome people and I love the support and encouragement we all have for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Christy! Enjoy your Marathon and I enjoy your blogs!

      Delete